Motors Inc. was formed in 1941 by four members of the American Rocket
Society. The company developed the rocket engines used by the
the early NASA (NACA)/Air Force X planes including the Bell X-1 that
first broke the sound barrier in 1947 and the famous North American
Reaction Motors was taken over by Thiokol Chemical
in 1958 to become the Reaction Motor Division.
Later the division became Thiokol Propulsion which was
acquired by ATK (Alliant Techsystems) in 2001.